Diwali the Hindu Festival of Lights begins on the 26th. Here are some resources to learn more about it.
CBBC Newsround – Diwali the Hindu Festival of Lights - http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_1650000/newsid_1654900/1654973.stm
CBBC Newsround – A child’s report of her activities during Diwali - http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/club/your_reports/newsid_1677000/1677032.stm
Diwali Vocabulary Activity - http://www.eslholidaylessons.com/10/diwali.html
Festivals of Light Around the World - http://www.everythingesl.net/lessons/light_festivals.php
National Grid for Learning: Diwali for kids - http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/ngfl/re/b-dag/ngfl-container/re-unit3-en.html
British Counsel Kids Stories: Diwali (complete puzzle to get to story) - http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-stories-favourite-day-diwali.swf
Diwali Resource – a whole page of links to vocab and activities - http://www.michellehenry.fr/diwali.htm
- We Can Change the World Challenge – http://www.wecanchange.com/
- Bonneville Environmental Foundation – http://www.b-e-f.org/
- Ethical and Green Living (The Guardian) – http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/ethical-living
- Voices of Youth – http://www.voicesofyouth.org/users/sign_up
- National Geographic : Water A Special Issue – http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/04/table-of-contents
- National Geographic: Environment: Freshwater – http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/freshwater/?source=NavEnvFresh
- World Water Day – http://www.worldwaterday.org/
- Water Aid Inernational – http://www.wateraid.org/international/learn_zone/
- Go Green Online – http://gogreenonline.com/
- Safe Drinking Water is Essential – http://www.drinking-water.org/flash/splash.html
- Water Footprint Network – http://www.waterfootprint.org/?page=files/home
- BBC Guide to Water – http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_4800000/newsid_4806400/4806454.stm
- World’s Water Hot Spots – http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/world/03/world_forum/water/html/default.stm
- Find Water Polluters Near You – http://projects.nytimes.com/toxic-waters/polluters/new-york
- EPA: Ground Water and Drinking Water – http://water.epa.gov/drink/index.cfm
- Water Planet Challenge – http://www.waterplanetchallenge.org/wpc/
Data, Facts, Figures, and Infographics
- The Big Picture: The World’s Water – data and graphs – http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/world/03/water_popup/html/supply.stm
- Water Fights – http://awesome.good.is/transparency/016/016waterfights/index.html
- Water and Cities: Facts and Figures – http://chartsbin.com/project/urban_water.html
- Infographic: 10 Things You Should Know About Water – http://www.circleofblue.org/waternews/2009/world/infographic-ten-things-you-should-know-about-water/
- Infographic: Glass Half Empty – http://www.princeton.edu/~ina/infographics/water.html
- Infographic: World’s Water Content – http://www.treehugger.com/assets_c/2010/03/water_infographics_06-13529.php
- Infographic on Water Use – http://awesome.good.is/transparency/web/trans0309walkthisway.html
- Infographic: Every Drop counts – http://awesome.good.is/transparency/web/1108/water-usage/flat.html
- Fresh Water Supply – http://www.josephbergen.com/viz/water/
- Water Economics – http://www.visualeconomics.com/waterless-world-h2o-use-around-the-world_2010-04-15/
- One Minute Water Calculator – http://goblue.zerofootprint.net/one_minute/unilever/countries/56105
- Water Footprint calculator- http://www.h2oconserve.org/home.php?pd=index
- Why You Should Stop Drinking Bottled Water – http://www.termlifeinsurance.org/stop-drinking-bottled-water/
- Save Your Water -http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/industries/waterandfood/water/saveyourwater/
- Why Care About Water? – http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/photos/drinking-water/#/drinking12-water-haiti_13112_600x450.jpg
- Fish Game – http://wateruseitwisely.com/kids/tip-tank-game.php
- The Water Family – http://www.thewaterfamily.co.uk/index2_content.html
- Mission H2O – http://www.savewater.com.au/game
- Water Conservation Around the House – http://www.ecokids.ca/pub/eco_info/topics/water/water/play_waterconserve.cfm
- You Decide Who Gets California’s Water – http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2009/04/09/water.DTL
- School House Rock on YouTube – http://www.youtube.com/artist?a=4oVf-d_DwKAM98Bb1umFDEJC0yu-UN8v
- Web Search Lessons on Google – https://sites.google.com/site/gwebsearcheducation/overview
- Snag Films – educational videos for everything -http://learning.snagfilms.com/
- Downloadable Ed resources (kits) for all subjects including related arts -http://www.kitzu.com/
- Reel is a great way to upload a PPT presentation to the web, or to make a PPT embeddable and viewable on your wiki (without download). Here is an example of a presentation on Reel http://reelapp.com/c163d0, and one embedded on my wiki http://schafert21.wikispaces.com/Coaching
- Explania – http://www.explania.com/en – animated explanations
Related Arts: Focus on Art
- Art – Waltee’s Quest – learn about art while solving the Case of the Missing Art. – http://www.walteesquest.com/
- Great Museums Television- http://greatmuseums.org/explore
- Virtual Library, Museums of the World – http://archives.icom.museum/vlmp/
- http://www.cybrary.org/art.htm – Resources on artists, art history, and artistic genres
- http://fraboom.com/ – Online children’s museum
- Musical animated words – http://www.rightwork.jp/fontdemusic/#permalink?id=370
- http://www.klowdz.com/ – create pictures from clouds
- Prehistoric Child Art – http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/10/06/141042561/the-child-artists-of-prehistory
Language Arts and Social Studies:
- http://www.youngzine.com/ – Online magazine/news source for kids with a section for student admissions and the option to upload and create accounts for your class
- http://calibre-ebook.com/about – Free eBook app, library of free eBooks
- http://www.myamericanfarm.org/ – American Agricultural information and activities
- http://www.shaded-relief.com/ – Interactive Shaded Relief World map, great tool for Lat/Long
- http://www.handsonhistorylibrary.org/historicalgis/default.aspx – GIS projects
- http://legacy.teachersfirst.com/globetracker/about.cfm – Globe tracker, follow and participate in Geo and Merry’s world travels.
Science and Math
http://gis.wwfus.org/wildfinder/ – WWF Wildlife Finder – species data attached to a global map
http://fraboom.com/ – children’s online museum with science exhibits
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2011/08/wealth-how-does-the-us-slice-the-pie.html – Wealth distribution, videos, charts, comparisons, and poll, great activity for drawing conclusions from data.
More Cool Tools
- http://www.vocalyze.com/web/termsofuse.html – Listen to the online news, this is great for students who struggle to read. They can research and listen to information they may find to dry or not be able to read.
- http://www.readthewords.com/Default.aspx - reads the webpage to you, this tool can also help students with reading difficulty or vision impairments.
- http://classparrot.com/ – Text parents or students for easy updates, with one message the word can go out to all of your parents or whomevery you put in the group. This could be a great tool for class trips and coordinating chaperones.
- http://cooltoolsforschools.wikispaces.com/Image+Tools - various tools for teachers, this is just an amazing resource all teachers should keep handy.
- http://sociologyplus.com/2011/09/23/google-tips-guides-and-resources/ – Guide to Google+, Wondering what the deal is and if you should bother? Check this out.
- http://www.drawastickman.com/ – draw and animate a stick man – pointless but fun!
- http://simplemeet.me/# – instant chat room
- http://www.browzmi.com/ – search the internet collaboratively
- http://liveminutes.com/oneclick/ – collaborate online; whiteboard, docs, videos, maps, skype
- http://www.wevideo.com/ – Create, collaborative video stories
- http://awwapp.com/ AWW, a whiteboard app
- http://mind42.com/mindmaps - digital graphic organizers
- http://teachercast.net/ – teachers helping teachers
- http://www.teachersdomain.org/ – digital media for the classroom
- http://www.youtube.com/education - Youtube Education
- Upload PPT to the cloud – http://www.reelapp.com/
- http://videodropper.ep.io/ – A place to store and download Youtube videos
- https://www.dropbox.com/ – online storage that works with video dropper
- http://www.dropitto.me/ – Have others turn in items to your drop box with Drop it to me.
Great resources for technology in music class.
- WV Ed Music Resources – http://wvde.state.wv.us/learn21/6/8/music/
- http://www.cybrary.org/music.htm – Resources on composers
- http://musescore.org/ – download required
- http://www.ujam.com/ – create a song from your voice
- http://www.jamstudio.com/Studio/index.htm – song creator
- http://www.folkstreams.net/film,109 – Folk Streams
- http://www.audiotool.com/ – Google Chrome app for song creation
- http://www.voisse.com/ – Podcasting
- http://weezic.com/en/ – search
- http://tones.wolfram.com/generate/ – Music and Math
- http://www.noteflight.com/login – music notation
- http://www.musipedia.org/ – Wikipedia for music
- http://www.music-explained.com/ – Discover or Explain the meaning of song lyrics
Mrs. Magee and Ms. Volker’s 6th Grade Ancient Civilizations class is studying the use of charts and graphs in historical studies.
To drive the concept home, they created a project using the data provided in Wolfram Alpha. http://www.wolframalpha.com/
Students will compare population, literacy rates, life expectancy, and unemployment rates of five different countries they will study throughout the year.
Using data collected from Wolfram Alpha, students are creating graphs in Excel and an online program called Create a Graph.
In Mrs Santora’s class students are working on researching the Sister Kenny treatment while reading Small Steps by Peg Kehret.
Mrs. Santora supplied links to resources and graphic organizers to the students, through Edmodo.
The class worked in groups to collect information about the treatment and compare it to the treatment of other muscle and bone disorders.